10/06/2008

When Experience Intersects Academic Theology, Karl Barth

Here is a quotation from Karl Barth, as he reflected on the reason why he abandoned liberal theology.  

For me personally, one day in the beginning of August of that year [1914] stands out as a black day, on which ninety-three German intellectuals, among whom I was horrified to discover almost all of my hitherto revered theological teachers, published a profession of support for the war  policy of Kaiser Wilhelm II and his counsellors.  Amazed by their attitude, I realised [sic] that I could no longer follow their ethics and dogmatics, or their understandings of the Bible and history, and that the theology of the nineteenth century no longer had any future for me.

Karl Barth, Evangelische Theologie im 19.  Jahrhundert (Zurich: Zollikon, 1957), 6.   

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

I think my church is sending a team to Bluefield to start a satellite because that area has such a huge drug problem.

Wed Oct 08, 09:16:00 PM  
Blogger Bradley said...

Wow. That doesn't surprise me at all. I grew up being friends with crack dealers and my closest friends got hooked on cocaine and started robbing people for drug money. I was hooked on weed&pills&alcohol for a long time before I was saved by Christ.

Your statement confirms my suspicions about Bluefield. Not a good place.

Thu Oct 09, 08:40:00 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

I smoked a lot of weed too, drank WAY too much, never did pills but sometimes I wonder if I hadn't been so low if I would have turned to God. I think you'll agree that I'm okay with going through what I went through cause I ended up where I'm at..and now people see a goody goody but that's okay with me. Well it's a good thing you got out of Bluefield, I guess. How the heck did you end up in Kentucky?

Thu Oct 09, 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger Bradley said...

Angela,

Thank God he has delivered the both of us from that.

Better seen a "goody goody" than be addicted, in jail, and wasting your life huh?

I came to Ky to go to study Divinity at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Sun Oct 12, 02:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home